The seasons are changing, and now that we are moving into Fall, it’s time to prepare the house for colder weather.
Here are ten tasks that you can do to help prepare your home for colder weather.
- Gutters- Clean and inspect gutters. Clean out downspouts and any clogs from the falling leaves and debris.
- Furnace- Test heaters to make sure they are working correctly and have the furnace serviced if needed.
- Filters- When is the last time you changed the furnace filters? Most models suggest changing your filters every three months. Now is a good time, since you’ll be spending more time indoors.
- Faucets- Drain and cover outdoor faucets and remove and store hoses and sprinklers.
- Safety Equipment- Test smoke and carbon monoxide devices. Check the expiration date of the device and replace batteries or unit if needed. Check the expiration date of the fire extinguisher and replace it if needed. If you don’t have one, you should! Test and service any generators or emergency equipment.
- Outdoor Furniture- Clean and store all outdoor furniture and decorations.
- Gardening Tools- Clean, dry, and put away all gardening tools to keep them from rusting.
- Shed & Garage- Organize and clean out the garage and shed. Donate items that you’re not using anymore and store all summer items.
- Fireplace- Clean and inspect chimney and fireplace. Schedule a service provider if needed. Make sure you have a safe place to store ashes and that your tools are functioning correctly.
- Roof- Inspect and clean roof. Remove moss and leaves as they accumulate. Check for any damage and schedule a service provider if needed.
Once your checklist is complete, and you’re ready for colder weather, you can sit back and enjoy your comfy and cozy house.